Shooting People on the Street of Perth

Perth. A city where I've spent my last two years pursuing my degree and my resurrected interest for photography.

Doing a street photography in Perth is easy and ever since I've picked up this genre a year ago, I've yet to find myself in a trouble when photographing people in this lovely city.

Most people are simply ignore me when I take their photo, either because they did not realize that I've taken their photo, or they simply ignore me as I often dressed and act like a tourist.

Some might look at me and wandering what I am doing with a camera pointing at their face or their general direction. There are also people who know that I've tried to take their photo and strike a pose at me.

Some did sign that they did not want to be photographed, which I respected by not taking their photo, or delete their photo if I did captured their photo.

And of course, some people interested in what am I doing, which I gladly explained to them that I am a street photographer.

Oh, and since I sometimes take out an unusual lens, there are people who asking me about my gears, and of course I would happily talk to them about my gears.

Now, about my usual spot of hunting people on the street of Perth.There are two of my favorite spots, where many people gathers and actions happens: Perth CBD and Fremantle.

Perth CBD

Perth CBD, particularly around the Hay Street and Murray Street Mall. Most of my street photographs were taken around that area. There are mix bag of people around this place, each bring their own energy into this place and making the area perfect for snapping people's photographs. Plus, there are events that often happened around Murray Street Mall and Forest Chase Square, which adds more excitement when doing street photography around this area. However, I recently realized that this place, in general, has a complex visual aspect that sometimes make it hard to isolate my subject/s from the background. Therefore, a shallow depth of field is often necessary to separate the object from the (rather) chaotic backgrounds. A vintage lens with special characters, such as swirly bokeh of Biotar or Helios lens, also work really great under the shade of trees in Murray Street mall.

Oh! I forgot the mention my favorite place around the William Street (just next to Murray and Hay street mall): the bus stop for 950 bus (William St Stand 1). A final place where I actually snap a photograph that let me have a 2nd place in a local photography competition last year.

Here are some shots that I take around the Perth CBD:
This is taken when I waited for 950 bus at the William St Stand 1. I see her (the lady on the wheelchair) arriving at the bus stop opposite to where I stand and I decided to take a picture. And then, a pigeon choose to come and became another interesting subject in my photo. This is a picture that get me a 2nd place in the last year's St George College Photography Competition. Title: "Waiting For"

I noticed the man with that white wig (?) was walking aside the girl from the distance. Then I waited until they passed in front of me before I take a shot. Title: "It's That Way"

I was wandering around the Murray St mall when I notice a man with an interesting walking gesture walk towards me. I quickly try to capture it but I missed the focus a bit. Even so, I quite like the gesture and expression of this men. Also my recent favorite. Title: "Man in Jet Black"

I was wondering around the Wellington Street when I take this picture. I like the gesture of those teenagers and the clear 'Slowly' word behind them. Hence, the title: "Slowly"

This was taken when a street performer (busker?) made an amazing bubble performance. This was taken with a Fujinon EBC 50mm f/1.8 lens that I borrowed from a friend, a lens that I'm deeply regretted not to buy when I had a chance. Title: "The Bubbleman"

This was taken at a cooking contest held in the Forest Chase Square, Perth CBD (can't remember the name of the contest though). One of the contestant noticed that I tried to take his photo and then happily pose for me. Also, their meat roast smell and looks very tasty. Title: "😊👍"



Fremantle
 
Fremantle, particularly around and inside the Fremantle Market. I had to admit, I have not visited this place often enough compared to the Perth CBD, but I find the crowds flow and energy are quite different from the Perth CBD. Also, since the Fremantle Market is closed during weekdays, my shooting time only restricted to weekends, which I often spend doing anything else than hunting people on the street. I find that on the street of Fremantle, it is easier to isolate the subject as there are less people on the street compared to Perth CBD and visually, the street around Fremantle is quite 'tidy' and lack visual clutter. BUT it is quite challenging to do it inside the Fremantle Market as it is jam packed with people during weekend. Therefore, wide angle lenses are required, although I've shot many photo using a short telephoto lenses (focal 85 to 100mm-ish). I only have very limited time now to try do street photography inside the Fremantle Market before my departure back to my home country, and that is something that I deeply regretted.

I found this man deep focused in whatever he read on those sheets of paper. The lighting was just perfect that it illuminate the face and the paper, giving it more emphasis on that. Title: "Reading"

A play of black and red color subjects. It seems like, I'm drawn to anything red. Some of my pictures have red colored subject or object as the main focus.Title: "Little Sisters"

I love the expression and gesture of this old lady as she explained something to her customer. I take few pictures of them and this is the best one. Title: "But, why?"

Deep inside the Fremantle Market, there is a fresh market full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Title: "Selecting"

This is simply a photograph of typical crowds inside the Fremantle Market. This one taken at the food court part inside the market. Title: "Freo Market"

A street performer that plays Didgeridoo in the Fremantle Market. He noticed that I tried to photographed him and he strike a 'peace' sign. Also, his plays is good. Title: "Didgeridoo in Peace"


There you have it, a bit of my experience when shooting people on the street of Perth. Let me know if you have interesting experience of photographing people around the Perth CBD and Fremantle, and willing to share it in the comment. 

Comments